Q: Are strut mounts typically replaced when you do new struts on front end? Quoted $700+tax for both - not including alignment. High?

Trying to figure out if I'm being charged a fair price for replacing both front end struts and strut mounts on our 2005 Toyota Sequoia by local repair shop (not dealer). Say they are using quality replacement parts equal to OEM. Charging me $700 plus tax (includes 10% off coupon). Thanks for you help!

Hi there. Were the mounts quoted in the estimate? Was a strut assembly quoted? If the answer is no to these questions, then the strut mounts were not quoted. However, the strut mounts on this vehicle are pretty much just a rubber cushion designed to aid in the absorption of road shock. There are many aftermarket brands that offer complete assemblies at reasonable prices. Installation and part prices can vary from one repair facility to another. I suggest acquiring additional estimates and comparing the pros and cons of each. Was an inspection performed that determined that the struts are in need of replacement? What was the diagnostic process or reference specification? As a former Toyota Master technician I can tell you that Toyota has a specific criteria measurement for leaking struts and shocks; some leakage is normal, but if the fluid is all the way to the bottom of the shock tube it is in need of replacement. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a suspension inspection and a strut replacement.

• Are strut mounts typically replaced when you do new struts on front end? Quoted $700+tax for both - not including alignment. High?