Q: Antitheft system isn't recognizing key

asked by on February 29, 2016

It seems like my antitheft system isn't recognizing the original key. Both my battery and starter are OK.

The anti-theft system in your vehicle will prevent the computer from delivering fuel and spark to the engine if it does not recognize the chip inside your key. Your specific vehicle also requires a minimum of 2 keys programmed to the system, otherwise, it will not start.

Unfortunately, some more information is needed to determine if the anti-theft system is having an issue. Does your anti-theft indicator light remain on, or does the engine turn over when attempting to start the vehicle? In order to communicate with and diagnose anti-theft systems, a an advanced diagnostic scanner is required (sometimes only from the manufacturer). I would recommend having a certified technician look over the vehicle’s anti-theft system in order to help with a diagnosis.