Q: Antitheft light flashing on dashboard

asked by on February 02, 2016

The antitheft light was flashing on the dash. I moved my car in the driveway, and the next morning the ignition key would not turn. The steering wheel isn't locked, and the car is in park.

It sounds like the ignition switch has gone amiss. There is an antenna built into it to detect the proper key. If that malfunctions, your Anti-Theft Light will come on. The key not turning is a different problem. It is just a plain lock cylinder. If the proper key will not turn it, try another one. You can try a small spray of WD-40 or a graphite based lubricant. The fact that two things are wrong with one part pretty much says it needs replaced. You will have to have the new keys and cylinder programmed to the car for it to start. I would recommend having a certified mechanic properly diagnose your ignition in order to have the correct repairs done.