Q: Alternators keep dying and killing batteries

asked by on November 06, 2015

The faulty alternator in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler wore out the last battery I had. I replaced both and that worked up until recently. The vehicle has about 172,000 miles on it at this point and I obviously need it to be reliable. The battery has been running low on power again so I think I have the same problem. Is there an alternator on the market that will stand up to my use?

Your alternator may be working fine and you just need to replace the dying battery. Most alternators tend to last a lot longer than most batteries.

The factory alternator on your Jeep is more than capable of handling your needs and there is no alternator claiming to last for extra long mileages. An alternator will last longer if the battery and cables are kept in good shape and the electrical load is not exceedingly high on a regular basis.

I suggest having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, check out both the battery to properly diagnose the issue. If required they can also replace the alternator for you.