Q: alternator problem

the alternator went up and every time we put in a new one it keeps frying, we bought the car used & it had a truck battery in it. I think the guy selling the car put the larger battery in so the car would run when we took it for a test drive. It's at car repair shop right now but the mechanic can't figure out why the new alternator is frying??? Any advice???

If you keep burning up alternators then you will need to check to see if the 175A main alternator fuse is blown. If the fuse is blown then you have a short on the large main cable that goes from the alternator to this main fuse. Depending on the engine you have the short may be at or near the alternator and may be an intermittent short. Have the wire harness checked inch by inch for the engine harness. The outer covering of the harness and wiring may have been exposed causing the short of the alternator and burning it up.

3. alternator problem