Q: After a recent tire change and feeling a "floating" feeling, would a tire balance or tire alignment be more appropriate?

asked by on October 14, 2016

I recently got 4 used tires put on my car. After driving them at about 65 MPH, I realized my car had a "floating" feeling. It felt almost like my wheels weren't getting an traction. The wheel is not pulling to either side, but it is slightly shaking. I was not feeling this sensation before the tire change.

When you mention a "floating" feeling, the first thing that pops into my mind is that the tire pressure may be low. A low tire makes the car wander as though it doesn’t really know where you’re pointing it. As for the shaking, it may be something you can solve by having the tires balanced, or it may be that the tires are not round and true. Buying used tires is always a roll of the dice. Sometimes you save some money, but other times you have to deal with problems that you did not expect. If you are not sure what to look for when inspecting your tires, YourMechanic can send a technician to your home to inspect your tires.