Q: AdvanceTrac ISsue

Had the front right wheel bearing go out a few months ago. After getting it replaced, the service advancetrac msg came up. Got it scanned at Autozone and the scanner said the front right Speed sensor was bad. Replaced it recently with a brand new OEM replacement, and the scan tool I bought (can read ABS) is saying the signal is missing from the replaced sensor. I have checked and rechecked the plug and it is firmly connected. I would love to know someone else's opinion on this as it has me stumped. Only thing I can think of is that the new sensor was bad out of the box and I need to return / swap it out OR there is an issue with the cable or the actual ABS unit.

Thank you in advance! Jim

The sensor output (from that wheel position) can be viewed on a scan tool and/or an oscilloscope. Once you confirm the output is there, and the waveform is correct, you should trace the circuit back to the ABS controller or PCM, as the case may be. If the signal makes it back to the controller (use Factory Service Manual wiring diagram to facilitate the circuit trace) then the issue obviously might involve that hardware. More than likely, though, once you trace the circuit you will find a high resistance somewhere in the circuit to the controller, if you don’t first find a faulty sensor output. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical component/circuit diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will resolve this. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.