Q: AC only blowing out hot air

The shop is saying the compressor on my air conditioner is no good. It only blows out hot air.

A: A recovery of the AC refrigerant will ensur...

A recovery of the AC refrigerant will ensure the system is not leaking. During a performance test if the compressor clutch is engaging, and the gauge readings are not moving, this would indicate a possible AC compressor failure. One thing to note, if the AC compressor has failed internally, it is possible that compressor shavings have circulated through the system. These will collect on the receiver/dryer desiccant, so generally, the receiver/dryer will be replaced as well. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise to safely service your AC system. They will also be able to replace your AC compressor and make any other repairs as necessary.