Q: How do you add oil to the engine?

How do you add oil to the engine?

A: Ideally, you’ll never have to add oil to yo...

Ideally, you’ll never have to add oil to your engine, but it is definitely possible, particularly if you go for long periods between oil changes (not recommended). If you check the oil and find that the level is below the minimum mark, you’ll need to top it off. Here’s how you do that:

1. Park the car on a level surface.

2. Pull the hood release under the dash on the driver side.

3. Open the hood and secure it with the prop rod.

4. Locate the oil filler cap.

5. Turn it counterclockwise and remove it. Set it to the side.

6. Add oil to the engine (slowly) – use a funnel if possible to avoid spilling engine oil on the valve cover. If any oil spills, clean it up immediately.

7. Let the oil drain into the pan for a moment.

8. Check the oil level on the dipstick.

9. If the level is between the minimum and maximum marks, replace the dipstick and put the oil cap back on.

10. Close the hood.

Tips

• Never overfill the oil. It should be between the minimum and maximum marks, never above the maximum mark.

• Even if you clean up spilled oil immediately, you may smell hot/burning oil for some time.

• Only use 0W-20 oil.