Q: AC clutch repairs

When I took my car in for servicing the AC worked just fine. However during the time in the shop I was informed that the AC clutch was not working. I was not under the impression that a major part like that would just STOP with no warning symptons. Do I have a problem with an unethical shop???

Hey there. If somebody were just trying to sell you something you don’t need, it probably wouldn’t be an air conditioner clutch. So I don’t think anybody is trying to rip you off. But if the shop is not a BMW shop, they may not fully understand the system.

It’s true that an AC clutch can fail without warning, but there are also other features in the system that can shut the AC clutch off if there is a problem to prevent damage to other components. A 2004 BMW has the capability to store trouble codes in the AC system that can be read with the appropriate scan tool to help point the technician in the right direction. By contacting YourMechanic, you can have a technician come out to your home or office to inspect the AC system and determine what repairs are needed.