Q: ABS light turns On and Off.

My solara has recently been aligned at 140k then shortly after i moved from North Carolina to Michigan, when i left nc the abs light started flashing when i hit a big bump now it fails repeatedly when i do not break straight. If i am turning the wheel and braking it acts as if i am hydroplaining and does not let me brake. I noticed my driver side front wheel looks straight most of the time but i found it sitting at an angle with the interor of the tire not making ground contact. Could this be my tie rod failing causing my abs to not work? What component would cause a shift on the wheel axis at the 12 and 6 o'clock and not the 3 and 9.

A: Hi there. It could be a mechanical problem,...

Hi there. It could be a mechanical problem, such as the tie rod or a broken CV joint that is causing this issue. When the inner portion of the tire does not touch the ground, that’s known as a negative camber situation. On some vehicles, like older VW Bugs, that’s normal. However, for a Solara it’s definitely not normal. I’d recommend contacting one of our local mechanics ASAP to have them inspect your front end for what’s actually damaged, as this could be a very unsafe mechanical problem and should be fixed quickly.