Q: A4 B8 Quattro coding P0016 and P0299

asked by on October 08, 2017

Shortly after the car was bought about a month ago it began to run rough and would occasionally die when going into gear. It progressed and directly after running out of gas and refueling the car died and has not been drivable since. It's throwing P0016 and P0299 and at best cranks slowly for between 5-10 seconds before starting. It will idle but as soon as it's put in gear it boggs out and dies. I replaced the cam sensor and it didn't seem to improve. Ran scanner again and it still pulled the same codes. I could use some guidance from here. Thank you

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The P0299 may be a s simple as a bad air hose, but P0016 is a big deal! It would be best if you don’t attempt to start the car again until you have it checked out! The code refers to the correlation between the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. It means the camshaft is out of time and the timing belt may have skipped a notch. The timing belt must be replaced every 90,000 or so miles and if it has not, it is subject to breakage. If you have not yet bent any valves, continuing to try to run the car may result in serious damage. You can have it checked out at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Audi and let you know what has to be done to get you moving again.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr