Q: A clunck clunck noise when the van is braking slowly and when i apply more pressure to gas pedal

My van is making a clunck clunck noise when i increase pressure on gas pedal while driving. It also makes the same sound when slowing down and applying the brakes. There is also some vibration in the steering wheel while driving over 50 mph. Have taken it to various mechanic shops but no one seems to know what they are doing. I would appreciate the help to identify the problem.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle needs to have a full inspection of the brakes, steering, and suspension. These systems are all so closely related, that issues with any of them may be felt in the steering wheel first. The clunking noise is most commonly associated with the ball joints, steering knuckle, strut or spring, brakes, or even the motor mounts. If a trained ear listens, they may be able to identify it right away. Otherwise it is a process of inspections and eliminations until we find the culprit. A proper inspection of these is likely going to result in some form of diagnostic information we can use to resolve the issue. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• A clunck clunck noise when the van is braking slowly and when i apply more pressure to gas pedal