Q: Changing transmission fluid in 2005 Hyundai Sonata Common repairs on Hyundai Sonata

asked by on April 11, 2016

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata with 40,000 miles on it and no problems. Should I change transmission fluid filter or wait until a certain mileage? What's the most common type of repair on this vehicle?

You’ve only got 40,000 miles on it and it’s 2005--it’s old. So, I’d say change the fluid and filter and use the factory fluid. Because the most common problem on those cars are bad transmissions, you don’t want to chance transmission having problems. Some of them have electronic problems but there’s nothing you can do about that other than keep a good battery in your car. And if the electronic goes out, you’ve got to fix it. But the transmissions are one of the weaker points, so I would have the transmission fluid serviced now.