Q: 98 mazda b2500 steering wheel was locked. I turned key and wheel and it came loose. now truck don't do anything. battery is fine.

asked by on March 10, 2018

Turned truck off. Went to start it and the steering wheel was locked so I turn key and wheel at same time it comes loose but the truck does nothing no click and won't start. I got out and took key out. The steering wheel now won't lock. And the accessory lights stayed on. FINALLY I unhooked the battery so the accessory lights went out. It wouldn't jump start with battery hooked up and also feels like the lock cylinder isn't touching or turning the insides of the ignition but that may just be my imagination.

You’re not imagining it. The ignition switch is made up of two parts, the lock assembly which handles the job of locking the steering column, and the switch element which does the electrical work. The switch element is made of plastic and contains the balls and springs that give the switch it’s "feel"as you move it through the clicks. When that breaks, it feels like there is nothing there. Replacing a switch can be tricky because there are several road blocks built in by the manufacturer to make it difficult to steal the car. You can save yourself the hassle by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to replace your ignition switch right there on the spot.