Q: What do I do directly after the airbag deploys?

What do I do directly after the airbag deploys?

A: When the airbags deploy in your vehicle aft...

When the airbags deploy in your vehicle after a crash, the first thing they do is deflate. If they didn’t deflate then the airbags may become stuck in the vehicle. Here are a few other things to look out for after airbag deployment:

• The vehicle should shut off the fuel system in a crash. This helps prevent fires.

• The doors will unlock.

• The hazard lights will begin flashing.

• Dust will accompany the airbag when it goes off. This dust can be harmful to those with breathing problems, but is necessary to keep the airbag from decaying while it sits waiting to be deployed.

Tips

• Airbags can only be used once.

• Airbags work alongside the seat belts, and are not a substitute for seat belts.

• If you experience trouble breathing after the airbags deploy, get out and seek fresh air if it is possible to do so safely. If not, open a door or window to circulate the air.