Q: Temperature rise

Once i had to drive 20-25 min with no water in cooling system till i reached my mechanic.the engine cooled off we fixed the problem(leaking).and for few months the car was running as nothing happened.And every weekend i drive up hill to my home and nothing changed the car is a real beast but few days ago while driving up hill the temperature increased slightly then cooled off to normal and never heated back even though i was still driving up.could this be because of a thermostat problem or my engine is ruined.my car in regular driving in the city never warms up

Hi There, If you drive for a period of time without coolant in the vehicle, this could have potentially caused damage to the motor resulting in a damaged cylinder head gasket which may cause the car to overheat intermittently, however if this is the case, this will eventually get much worse and cause major engine damage. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. You can check for evidence of this by checking your coolant to see if there are traces of oil in the coolant. This may also be your thermostat sticking or failing resulting in the coolant not circulating through the motor properly maintaining the temperature as it is designed to. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your overheating issue.

3. Temperature rise