Q: 4wd clunk

I have a 1999 dodge Durango 4wd when I put it in 4wd low and high it makes a constant clunk noise but when in 2wd it is fine. What could this be bad transfer case?

A: A few different items can cause the clunk s...

A few different items can cause the clunk sound you have described. The most common would include the engine/transmission mounts, driveshaft u-joints, transfer case, or a drive axle. Any of these have the potential to cause a knocking in 4 wheel drive only.

Unfortunately there are parts that are only used on the front axle when the vehicle is in 4WD so issues can go unnoticed for long periods of time. A qualified technician will be able to diagnose this clunking noise and perform any repairs required.