Q: Why does my 4 wheel drive, tract light, and engine check light come on all at once?

So if it's wet outside or cold my lights come on in fewer days then if it's warm and sunny out.. they stay on till i disconnect battery for a few minutes. Toyota says i need a charcoal canister to fix. the codes they came up with are P043F, P2401, P2419.

What do you think?

Mike 757-714-7522

Hello. The Toyota dealership may be correct because the codes that you have listed are related to the charcoal canister. However further testing should be done to verify that the canister is at fault. The charcoal canister is part of the EVAP system while the EVAP system is connected to the exhaust system. Some exhaust gases are recirculated through the EVAP system and cleaned out by the charcoal canister to reduce emissions. The testing of a charcoal canister can be done by a technician with a scan tool, a smoke machine, or a vacuum pump. The charcoal canister should hold a specific vacuum in range of the manufacturer’s specifications. If it does not the charcoal canister will have to be replaced. The smoke machine can be used to push smoke through the charcoal canister and find any leaks. If any leaks are present the charcoal canister will have to be replaced. Depending on the scan tool it should be able to activate the vacuum pumps and solenoids which control the charcoal canister on your vehicle. If the charcoal canister does not respond to the commands from the scan tool and does not change its vacuum values then the charcoal canister would have to be replaced or the vacuum pump is bad. The hoses connecting to the charcoal canister should be checked for leaks or clogging as well. Though in most cases it will be the charcoal canister itself found as the problem. A mobile technician such as those you are able to schedule here https://www.yourmechanic.com/ will be able to help you further diagnose and fix your vehicle. Here is some additional info from us on the trouble codes you are having: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2401-obd-ii-trouble-code-evap-leak-detection-pump-control-circuit-low-by-spencer-clayton

3. Why does my 4 wheel drive, tract light, and engine check light come on all at once?