Q: 24 or 50 oz imbalance in a ford 302 with a 1980 block and harmonic bal #E1TE-B4aA ?

asked by on September 01, 2017

I purchased a 302 engine for a replacement of my 289 in my 68 Bronco. The owner of the engine said that it came out of a mustang but it was not the original motor and it had been rebuilt at some time. He had it stored in his garage for 4 years. It was on a run stand and when started sounded great. The casting marks on the engine made it a 1980 block but the # on the harmonic balancer was E1TE-B4A. It has a 164 tooth flexplate with no markings that I can see. Do you think this is a later model crank ? I will be changing this to a flywheel for a manual transmission. What oz imbalance do I have??? Thanks, Bill M.

The balancer number you provided is from model year 1981 and thus is a 50 ounce balancer. The only way to determine the model year of the crankshaft, and thus whether the current 50 ounce balancer is the correct one for the crankshaft, is to look at the casting number on the crankshaft. If you suspect a mismatch, which could cause crank damage of course, I would make an initial inquiry at an engine rebuilding shop and/or disassemble the engine to get the crank casting number. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.