Q: 2008 335xi oil pan gasket hell.....

My 335xi 2008, with 90,000, is said to be leaking oil from the oil pan gasket. Oil on the underside not on garage floor. They want to replace oil pan gasket, replace oil drain back for turbo, replace valve cover gasket, and possible crank shaft seal. $2800.00!!! Is this necessary???? My BMW gear head friend says," just let it leak!"

Your 335xi BMW has very good splash guards and under covers to keep water from splashing into the engine bay as well as oil from major leaks from hitting the ground. The high price tag is pretty fair for the amount of work required to repair these type of leaks on your vehicle. Oil leaks only get worse. Plus, if the oil leaking from the valve cover gets onto the exhaust manifold in high quantities, this can burn the oil and cause a lot of smoke or even a fire. A leaking oil pan and crank seal are much less dangerous, but if the oil leaks to a low level and you don’t realize this while driving it can cause major damage to the engine and turbocharger. Letting it leak is not the way to go as topping the oil off every so often on top of the oil changes can get very expensive over the course of a year. If you want to keep the vehicle for a long time and in good condition, fix the leaks. Consider getting the car’s oil leak diagnosed and estimated by YourMechanic for a lower cost alternative. Our technicians are just as capable and can do the work at your home.