Q: 2006 nissan quest when put into gear or driving there's a loud clunk

When driving sometimes or putting car into gear it makes a loud clunk sound.

One common cause of such noise is a failed outer CV joint on the CV axle. If you peer behind each front wheel, underneath the vehicle, and use a very bright focused light to shine on the rubber boots that cover the outer CV joints, check to see if the CV joint rubber boots are torn (broken) and/or leaking grease. The rubber boots look like a tapered bellows about 3 or 4 inches in diameter at the large end tapering to 1.5 inches. If they are torn, that is one indication that the CV joint or joints (i.e., both sides of car) will need to be serviced. Clunking sounds can also originate in the transmission. A final possibility is a loose strut but defective outer CV joint(s) would be the most probable cause of the noise. If you desire that the joints be inspected, simply request a noise diagnostic. If the joints are judged bad, the mechanic will estimate the cost to replace them and advise you as to the procedure. It is not an unusual job and failure of the outboard joints is actually quite common.

3. 2006 nissan quest when put into gear or driving there's a loud clunk