Q: 2005 BMW 645Ci only shifts and drives in 1st and 2nd gears

My transmission is malfunctioning in my car. This is what happened: as I was sitting at a red light and my car was idling, a warning suddenly flashed stating that the transmission would only shift from Reverse into 1st and 2nd gear. Sure enough, when I started driving those two gears were the only ones that I could use to drive. After buying some transmission fluid, I added it. My car drove okay for a day, but then it went out again. In your expert experience, what should I do to fix this problem?

Hello. I would need to check the transmission fluid condition to tell you for sure what is going on. If the fluid is dark or smells burnt then it more than likely needs a transmission. I usually scan the computer for codes also to see what the computer is seeing.

If it is simply an electrical issue or a sensor issue, then it may have a code to give direction on where to start. Most of the time, when I see this occur it is because one of the clutch packs is worn out causing a slipping issue. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting problem and help you have this repaired.

3. 2005 BMW 645Ci only shifts and drives in 1st and 2nd gears