Q: 2004 Toyota Highlander 4wd, 6 cyl: Does the engine need to be removed to replace the front lower control arm bushings?

2004 Toyota Highlander 4wd, 6 cyl: Does the engine need to be removed to replace the front lower control arm bushings? The folks who did the inspection stated this was the case.

Although some service manuals do refer to engine removal, that advice is in error. So long as the engine is properly and safely supported, the lower control arms can be readily removed. The bushings on these arms are not separately serviceable which means the entire arm must be replaced. I recommend using the OEM Toyota control arms. If you desire to schedule control arm replacement for your vehicle, please refer to YourMechanic’s control arm assembly replacement service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. 2004 Toyota Highlander 4wd, 6 cyl: Does the engine need to be removed to replace the front lower control arm bushings?