Q: 2003 Mercury sable started stalling when slowing down to stop and or once stopped. Made it home but now in driveway, dies as soon

asked by on April 12, 2017

Today while driving, when at low speed and or slowing down to stop and while stopped, the engine kept stalling, RPM gauge would drop fast and then car would stall. Car would start up okay but had to keep foot on peddle to keep it going, did this at least 10 or so times on way home. Now that car is in driveway, tried to start, starts up but then dies out right away. Any ideas as to what this could be, how much to fix?.

You’ll have to go through a stalling diagnostic but the good news is the symptoms you are describing are fairly dramatic and so the cause is likely to be readily found. Common causes of engine stalling include a faulty mass airflow sensor, faulty engine coolant temperature switch/sensor (typically at cold start only), worn spark plugs, wires or defective ignition coil(s), inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (clogged fuel filter, injectors), contaminated or old gasoline, defective throttle position sensor, faulty idle air control valve, leaks in the EGR system, intake vacuum leaks, and so forth. If you request an engine stalling/rough idle diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.