Q: 2002 Elantra: ratting, sudden loss of power and stalling! Pls help stuck on a mountain.

asked by on August 18, 2017

Hey, so today I was going up a mountain in my 2002 Elantra XD GLS, when it started making a rattling noise and had a massive loss of power. When I pulled over, it stalled and when I opened the hood, one of the rubber hoses burst and spat brown all over my engine. It still starts but does not idle properly and sometimes stalls. I assume the hose was for coolant and there was brown all over my engine. I just want to get it back home safely so I can see what is wrong with it. Any ideas what happened?

It sounds like you may have a cooling system leak that may have caused a hose to burst. The more concerning question is the brown colored coolant that came from the leaking hose. This often times indicates that there may be a damaged cylinder head gasket that may have allowed oil to contaminate the coolant resulting in the brown colored coolant. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr