Q: 2001 Lincoln town car signature died when shifted into drive. Rides fine does not due while driving only when slowed to a stop or

We were driving to work and all of the sudden at a red light the car does. Started right back up but when shifted into drive it died again. To finally get moving we have to start car shift to neutral give it a little gas and shift to drive while giving it has. In neutral and park car runs good sounds good but once you shift it just dies. Doesn't shutter just dies. We have spark plugs less then a year old, changed fuel filter still dying. Doesn't die when driving unless you come to a complete stop or when shifting into drive or reverse. When stopping at a light out in neutral when taking off give a little gas and shift takes off don't do this it will die.

The problem sounds like it is due to the transmission torque converter locked up causing the engine to be locked to transmission input shaft. This may due to the torque converter is seized or the overdrive solenoid is stuck open. You will need to have transmission pressures checked and see what is causing the problem.

3. 2001 Lincoln town car signature died when shifted into drive. Rides fine does not due while driving only when slowed to a stop or