Q: 2000 VW Jetta with clutch issues while in reverse

I have a 2000 VW Jetta with a manual transmission. When I go release when the car is in reverse, every once in a while, the clutch will take about two seconds to engage instead of moving the car. Is that a sign of clutch failure?

Generally, it’s a sign that the clutch is starting to wear off. They do have inspection plates on Volkswagen where you might have a mechanic check if you don’t know how to do it. Take the inspection plate and see how thick it is. You probably need a new clutch. It’s 16 years old. The odds are it’s starting to wear out and you need a new one. If you need to have your car checked, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your vehicle’s location to inspect your clutch issue and replace your clutch if needed.

3. 2000 VW Jetta with clutch issues while in reverse