Q: 1996 Jeep Cherokee cranking but no spark

asked by on October 23, 2017

Car was low on gas after I replaced the clutch and slave cylinder in it, I bolted everything back up including the cps and tried to start the car forgetting it was low on gas and it turned over and died almost immediately so I got 5 gallons of gasoline and now it won’t start because it hasn’t no spark, I have fuel pressure and even tried starting fluid and didn’t start, it cranks and I hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key so that’s good, I have replaced the ignition coil, cap and rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs and the camshaft position sensor

Hi Charlie. Thanks for sending in your question today. In cases where multiple parts have been replaced, more often than not, the starting problem is due to something incredibly small but vital - such as a loose ground wire or electrical connection. The first thing I’d do before replacing anything else is double checking all electrical connections - especially grounds. The second step would be to inspect or replace the ignition system relays or fuses - as this is another common issue after multiple repairs - especially if the battery cables have not been replaced. If you complete those and still can’t get it to ignite, verify that the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor wiring harness is in good shape.