Q: Car is "running rich" 2002 VW Passat

Mechanic said engine is running rich. I have appt set up to get diagnostics test but im not sure what problems i should expect and the cost to fix problem. No heat, fuel smell, poor mpg and hard turning wheels on startup. Help/thoughts?

Hi - there are many problems which can cause a "running too rich" scenario: bad oxygen sensor, leaking fuel injectors, excessive fuel pressure, malfunctioning engine coolant temperature sensor, etc. Check problem codes first (whether Check Engine light is on or not). I would recommend a fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car is "running rich" 2002 VW Passat