Q: Car is "running rich" 2002 VW Passat

Mechanic said engine is running rich. I have appt set up to get diagnostics test but im not sure what problems i should expect and the cost to fix problem. No heat, fuel smell, poor mpg and hard turning wheels on startup. Help/thoughts?

Hi - there are many problems which can cause a "running too rich" scenario: bad oxygen sensor, leaking fuel injectors, excessive fuel pressure, malfunctioning engine coolant temperature sensor, etc. Check problem codes first (whether Check Engine light is on or not). I would recommend a fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.