Q: Water pump clogged - 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I had a feeling that maybe my water pump was giving me some problems, so I went to change it. I noticed it had a really bad clog in one of the ports, and my hoses were full of muck. I've had them flushed out numerous times but can’t figure out why this is happening. Do you have any thoughts on this? What do you think?

There are several possibilities which include: failure to flush the system and replace the coolant every 2 years (regardless of mileage), additives like those which stop leaks, etc. These causes can leave deposits which add up over time. A professional mechanic, like Your Mechanic, can determine if over-the-counter cooling system cleaning products can correct this, or if a radiator shop "industrial cleaning" approach is necessary.

3. Water pump clogged - 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer