Without a car title, you’re in a tight spot if you decide to sell the car or trade it in on a new one. The same thing applies if you move out of Indiana – you can’t register it without a title. Titles are easily lost, though. They’re also easily damaged and can be stolen. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t worry. The answer is to get a duplicate title for your car. Indiana actually makes it very easy to do.
There are four ways to get a duplicate title in the state of Indiana. You can do it online, by mail, at a local BMV branch, or through a BMV Certified Partner. Regardless of which option you choose, there are several steps that must be followed.
Before you can apply for a duplicate title, you’ll need the following:
- A valid form of photo ID. Indiana accepts a wide range of options, including state-issued a driver’s license, a work ID, a military ID, a bank card (with photo) and more.
- Vehicle identification. This can be your car’s registration, the VIN number and more.
- A lien release form if there is a lienholder.
Note that any form of ID used must be currently valid.
To apply by mail:
In addition to the information above, anyone applying for a duplicate title by mail will need to:
- Complete Form 44049 (Application for Certificate of Title)
Include payment of $8
Mail your paperwork and other information (including copies of your ID and vehicle information) to this address:
100 N. Senate Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Your duplicate title will be mailed to you.
To apply in person
To apply in person at a local branch or BMV Certified Partner, you will need to:
- Bring all the paperwork mentioned above
- Complete Form 44049
- Bring your payment of $8
To apply online
To apply online, you will need to:
- Visit myBMV.com
- Follow the prompts and enter the required information
- Provide payment for the $8 fee
Your duplicate title will be mailed to the address you provide on myBMV.com.
For more information, visit the Illinois BMV website.