How to Register a Car in North Carolina

The landscape and atmosphere of North Carolina is what has made it one of the most popular states in the country. If you are in the process of moving to this great state, then be sure to take your time and cover all of your bases. An important task that has to be done in order to drive legally on North Carolina roadways is registering your vehicle. In order to do this, you will have to go in person to the North Carolina DMV. You have 30 days from the time that you move to North Carolina to register your vehicle. If you wait any longer, then you may have to pay a steep fine. When going in to get your car registered, here is what you will need to bring with you:

  • Your driver’s license
  • An insurance card for the vehicle in question
  • The title of the vehicle that has been notarized
  • A completed Title Application

For North Carolina residents who have recently purchased a car, getting it registered in a timely manner is important. Before going in to get this done, here are a couple of the things that you will need to get your hands on:

  • A valid North Carolina issued driver’s license
  • An acceptable form of auto insurance proof
  • A notarized vehicle title
  • Lien paperwork if you are still paying on the vehicle
  • The Title Application
  • The Declaration of Eligible Risk
  • Damage Disclosure Statement
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement
  • Bill of sale

The fees that you will have to pay during this process are as follows:

  • The Certificate of Title will cost $52
  • An instant title will cost $98
  • The Regional Transportation Authority tax is $5
  • The plate transfer will be $20
  • The highway use tax is 3%

You will have to get valid insurance and insurance cards for the vehicle in question before being able to get it registered. Be sure to visit the North Carolina DMV website to get more information on this process.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Register a Car in Wisconsin
Driving Driving a car is something that most people take for granted. When moving to a new state, like Wisconsin, you will need to check to make sure you are complying with all of their laws. Having your car registered...
The Guide to Legal Car Modifications in North Carolina
ARENA Creative / North Carolina has a variety of laws in place that govern modified vehicles. If you live in the state or are planning on moving to it, you need to make sure your modified...
How to Get a North Carolina Driver's Permit
The The graduated driver’s license program in the state of North Carolina requires all new drivers under 18 years old to begin driving under supervision, in order to practice safe driving before getting their full driver’s license. In order to...

Related questions

How long should vehicle first warm up in cold temperatures
The engine may be getting hotter from the CVT transmission overheating which causes the engine coolant to get hotter than it should. The manufacture has a technical service bulletin to add a transmission external cooler and clean out the cooler...
Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
Jumper cables crossed.The car wouldn't start. Found it was a fuse that blew which we replaced. The car turned on but then we had t
If you are very lucky, you may just need a battery. When you cross the jumper cables, you can do a lot of damage in the blink of an eye. If it just trashes the alternator and the battery, you...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·