Distracted driving in Kansas is defined as talking on the phone or texting while driving. In addition, anything else that causes the driver’s attention to be diverted from the road is considered a distraction. If you cause an accident while you are distracted in the state of Kansas, you may be held responsible for the accident if someone is hurt or killed. Furthermore, you can be ticketed for texting and driving.
For drivers who have a learner’s permit or an intermediate license, all cell phone usage is banned. This means that even the use of a hands free device is not permitted. Furthermore, texting is illegal for drivers of all ages. For drivers who have a regular license, there are no handheld cell phone laws prohibiting the usage, so you are free to use your phone with or without a hands free device.
Texting while driving is illegal for drivers of all ages. This includes sending, receiving, or typing a message, including email. There are some exceptions to the texting laws.
- Drivers who hold a learner’s permit or intermediate license are not allowed to use a cell phone at all
- There is no cell phone ban for drivers who hold a regular license
- An emergency service personnel or law enforcement officer acting within their scope of employment
- If you are completely stopped in your vehicle and off the roadway
- A driver may read, select, or enter a phone number in a cell phone to make or receive a call
- Receiving traffic, weather, or emergency alerts
- Navigation readings related to the operation of the vehicle
Situations where it’s okay to use a cell phone
There are certain cases where drivers are allowed to use their cell phones while operating a motor vehicle and driving down the road.
- Reporting illegal activity to law enforcement
- To prevent immediate injury to property or a person
- To transmit information between an operator and dispatcher where the device is affixed to the motor vehicle.
If law enforcement sees you violating any of the laws above, they can pull you over for that without any other cause for doing so. There are fines imposed if you do text and drive. If you are pulled over and receive a ticket, the fine will be $60. It is best put your phone away while driving and pull over to the side of the road if you need to make a phone call.
Schedule Oil Change
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Oil Change. YourMechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 2,000 cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING