Q: My vehicle has electrical issues after replacing the wiper motor.

asked by on December 15, 2016

I TOOK ME CAR TO THE DEALER FOR ROUTINE CHECK, KNOWING THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH WINDSHIELD WIPERS. WAS TOLD THERE WAS CORROSION AND THE SYSTEM NEEDED TO BE CHANGED- WHICH I APPROVED. HOWEVER 2 DAYS LATER I GET A CALL SAYING THE MOTOR WOULD NOT START ALTHOUGH THEY HAD REPLACED THE BATTERY WITHIN LAST 8 MONTHS. I AM NOW BEING TOLD SOMETHING IS DRAINING THE BATTERY AND THEY ARE DOING A DIAGNOSTIC. IS IT POSSIBLE TYHAST IN REPLACEMENT OF WIPER SYSTEM, THEY LEFT SOMETHING ON CAUSING THE BATTERY TO BE DRAINED?

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. There is a parasitic draw that is making your battery go dead. First, charge up the battery to the maximum voltage that it will go to, ie: 12.4 volts to 12.6 volts. Anything under 12.4 volts, then the battery will need replaced. Then turn on the key and start the vehicle up. Turn on everything in your car one thing at a time. Then turn everything off in your car. Shut off the engine and pull out the key. Shut the door and make sure that all of the doors are shut. Remove the negative (-) battery cable and put a digital meter from the cable to the negative (-) battery post. Check to see if there is a draw of battery voltage on the meter of more than 5 volts, like 7 volts or 12.6 volts. This would indicate that something is shorting to ground. If the vehicle was working fine before the wiper blade issue, then check the circuits with the wiper blade motor and see if the power goes away by disconnecting the wiper blade motor. If it does, then check the circuit for power and see where it’s getting the power and if the circuit is shorted to ground. It’s possible that the circuit was shorted to ground before causing the wiper system to malfunction. Locate the connection to the other end of the wires and check for battery power. If there is no battery power, then visually look for any melted wires that could lead to a short in your wiper system. If the wiper system is not having an electrical issue, then unplug one fuse at a time and see if the voltage goes away. What ever makes the voltage go away, fix that circuit or replace the part that could cause the issue. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with the draw upon your battery.