Q: Wiper has to manually be lifted before working - 1996 Chevrolet Beretta

The arm on the driver’s side wiper only wiggles when I turn on the wipers. If I manually lift it off of the windshield, then it operates normally, but only when I lift it manually. It seems to stick to the windshield. I checked the wiper motor and it is functioning properly. The pivot that moves the wiper arm is also moving normally. The nut that is attached to the arm is securely screwed in and the passenger side wiper works very well. What can I do to fix this wiper on the driver’s side?

A: You will have to replace the "wiper ar...

You will have to replace the "wiper arm shaft" and/or wiper arm for the side which isn’t working. Both of these components have very small splines which interlock when the nut is tightened. A heavy snow or ice load can cause the splines to break down, or strip, rather than damage the electric motor. A certified technician from YourMechanic can replace the windshield wiper arm at your home or office.