Q: Window chips damaging driver side window.

Hello, I bought a used Hyundai sonata sport with glass stuck in the interior, little did I know that when I would roll up the window, glass would be in the window sill. I now have chip like scratches in my window, front driver window. I was wondering if this could be removed from home or would I have to get a whole new window?

Thanks!

Hello.

In most cases, scratches on automotive glass can be difficult to remove if they are deep. If they are shallow, you maybe able to use a bit of metal, or specialized glass polish, to buff out the scratches by hand. If they are deep, however, there may be little you can do to remove them besides replacing the glass.

If there are pieces of glass stuck inside the window sill they may continue to scratch the window glass as you use the window. If possible I would try to remove the shards of glass, or whatever may be scratching the windows, to prevent the scratches from becoming worse.

If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the window to determine what the best course of action may be.

3. Window chips damaging driver side window.