Q: Why does the engine service soon and the battery light come on?

The first time it turns on it's good but once I try to turn it on afterwards. I notice that I don't hear the engine turn on anymore and that's when the engine service soon and battery light come on.

Hi There, The battery light generally indicates that you have a problem with your charging system or battery. This may be a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Why does the engine service soon and the battery light come on?