Q: why does oil pressure gauge go up and down with rpm of engine?

oil pressure gauge started fluctuating the other day.. usually rides at 30lbs now goes from 30 to 60 with the rpm's of the engine.. why?

A: This is normal operation for your oil press...

This is normal operation for your oil pressure. The faster the motor spins, (RPM, revolutions per minute) the faster the oil pump spins creating higher oil pressure. Keep in mind, most gauges aren't accurate. The only way to get an accurate reading is with a quality oil pressure tester.

You will need to remove the oil pressure sending unit and screw this gauge in there. Start the truck and see what the gauge says. If you are really interested, tape the gauge to the windshield and drive around and watch the what the gauge does. Keep in mind, if you want to tape it to your windshield, you will need a longer than normal hose to reach the windshield. I have had to do this on a number of occasions with odd oil pressure symptoms.

To reiterate, a rise in oil pressure with higher RPM's is normal.