Q: Why do I have a loud vibration?

Just had my timing belt replaced along with the water pump and tension pulley. I now have a very loud and rough vibration when I accelerate and decelerate. Even in idle it sounds very rough.

Hello. You should verify whether the timing belt was put on correctly. All the pulleys have to be in the right position in order for the valves to open and close at the right time. If the belt is out of position, the timing will be off and engine vibration is one consequence.

There are other causes that might have to do with accessory belts that were removed as part of the job as well as fuel and ignition possibilities. All would have to be diagnosed on site.

YourMechanic can certainly pinpoint the source of your vibration issue however if you had another mechanic already perform the work, first verify whether the timing belt was put on correctly.

3. Why do I have a loud vibration?