Q: White smoke coming out of hood when idle / stopped

My temperature gage will jump up and back down frequently, and I've noticed some white smoke coming out of the hood of the car. Heat and a/c blow air, but there is no temperature regulation in them.

This sounds unfortunately like a blown head gasket problem. The fluctuation in temperature and white smoke is usually a sign of this. I would suggest having the coolant tested for traces of combustion gases which will indicate if the head gasket is compromised. If this is in fact the case, I would suggest having an certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose the smoke firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.

3. White smoke coming out of hood when idle / stopped