Q: Where is the variable valve timing located?

I want to know where its located because I have to change it and I'm buying the part on line and I don't want to get the wrong part

A: Your variable valve timing consists of more...

Your variable valve timing consists of more than one component, so I need to know exactly which component has failed. The most common failures are the IVT (Intake Valve Timing), control solenoid, and the camshaft phaser. The solenoids are mounted just to the front of the valve cover on the each head. The camshaft phaser is basically the intake camshaft sprocket, except it is controlled by the IVT solenoid and is responsible for the change in intake camshaft timing that aids in performance and emissions. There are two IVT solenoids and two camshaft phasers.

The IVT solenoid is fairly simple to replace as it is mounted on top of the motor and has an electrical connector attached to it. The cam phaser is another story. It is a very big job that requires extensive experience to replace without problems and there is a high risk of serious engine damage if something is done incorrectly. If it is the solenoid, then go ahead and replace it.

If it is the phaser that needs replacing, I highly recommend booking an appointment with one of our qualified technicians to service your timing chain. As you see, the replacing of the cam phaser is the same as doing a timing chain job and will include a lot of labor and parts. It is much more cost effective to replace the chains, guides, and tensioners when this is apart. Its a big job that takes a significant amount of time. Reusing the old parts doesn’t make cost effective sense.

Good luck!