Q: check engine light came on for about a week then went off for a couple of days and now has returned

does my make and model have a built in timing for service (ie) oil change, spark plugs etc

Hi there:

Looks like you’ve got two separate issues and questions here. First, if the check engine light came on, vanished and returned again, that’s typically an indicator that the ECU (engine control unit) registered an error code or trouble code sent by a sensor). This should be inspected by a professional mechanic by having them complete a check engine light is on inspection - a service we offer at YourMechanic.com. Second, the Mazda Tribute does have a service indicator light (a wrench shaped light) that will illuminate when some services are due. To determine the exact service intervals for your vehicle though, you can visit our manage your car online portal; which allows you to receive push notification when routine service is due.

3. check engine light came on for about a week then went off for a couple of days and now has returned