Q: When should seat belts and retractors be inspected and replaced?

When should seat belts and retractors be inspected and replaced?

Ideally, your car’s seat belts and seat belt retractors will last the life of the vehicle. However, these are replaceable parts and they should be inspected after any accident, even if the car’s air bags didn’t deploy. It’s possible for the Personal Safety System™ to engage a seat belt pretensioner even if the air bag isn’t inflated. Have your belts, pretensioners, retractors and the rest of the system inspected after all impacts. If the retractor isn’t working properly, it should be replaced, even if there was no impact/accident.