Q: When reversing after car sits overnight, there is a loud clunking sound coming from left rear. Seems to stop once car warms up. Ca

When first putting car in reverse after car sits for awhile, there is a loud clunking noise from left rear of car. Visible check shows nothing hanging. Tire pressure confirmed correct. After car warms up and has been driven 3 miles or so the noise disappears. Car driving well otherwise. No problem shifting, idling, braking etc.What could this mean?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Corinne. Thanks for contacting us today. Sometimes, this type of problem is an indication of a wheel bearing that is starting to wear. As the wheel spins, it will build-up heat and the noise can go away. However, over time this clunking sound will turn into a constant grinding noise. It’s also possible that you have a rear brake that is sticking or even a rear stabilizer bar that is worn out. It’s always best to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an inspection to determine what repairs are needed.