Q: When disabling cruise control, SUV kept accelerating to 115 mph

While driving at 75 mph, I was using cruise control. When I was switching lanes and trying to disable the cruise control using the brake pedal, my SUV started accelerating. The speed kept increasing to 115 mph. I put both of my feet on the brake pedal trying to slow down for around 10 minutes while weaving in and out of the interstate traffic. It was a terrifying experience! The SUV finally and suddenly stopped accelerating and slowed down. What caused this and what is your advice for what will fix this problem?

From your description it sounds like the throttle body became stuck. Since this vehicle does not have a throttle cable it is possible that a sensor malfunctioned and caused the throttle to stay on. These vehicles have been known to break the gears inside the throttle body and cause the symptoms you described. It is possible that the throttle body may need to be cleaned or replaced. Also, in the future, if the throttle sticks the best course of action is to simply turn the ignition off. Don’t turn it all the way back because that would lock the steering wheel. Only turn it back one position to the accessory position.