Q: What would cause the vibration i feel in my gas pedal and floor board?

asked by on February 02, 2017

Got a front driver side vibration that starts around 55 gets worse as I get closer to 60 then declines in intensity as I get towards 70 then its almost rythmetic every so many seconds like a knock that sounds like something rotating. This is on my 98 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 l fwd that has about 207000 miles on it. Can't figure it out

Steering wheel vibrates or shakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Vibration felt through the floorboard can be due to tire imbalance, tire defects, or excessive radial force variation, on rear axle mounted tires. Contributing factors in the circumstance you are describing could be worn struts in the suspension. If there are flat spots on the tire tread, that would be indicative of worn struts. If, by chance, you are also feeling the vibration in the steering wheel, that is usually due to imbalance in a front wheel/tire assembly, defects in a tire or tire(s) and/or a rim is bent. If the vibration is not detectable in the steering wheel, it could also be due to defective engine mounts. One way to check for mount problems is to shift from "neutral" to "drive" and back, while the engine is running and stationary of course. If the vibrations disappear or reduce dramatically in "neutral," it’s likely that you need new engine mounts. If you request a vehicle vibration diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would evaluate all the possibilities, including tire balance, and resolve this for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.