Q: What would cause a heavy shake when the van is just about to shift under a load? Speed does not matter.

This van has new heads (she got it hot, just trying to be thorough) and does not show any codes. but as the van accelerates, like when starting to climb a hill in overdrive, the van shakes like crazy. After it shifts and the RPMs get higher the shake immediately goes away and it runs like a dream. To be clear there is no power loss or miss. It, to me, seems like it is not inside the engine. maybe CV shaft or drive-train. This can happen at any speed but on the route I drove it occurred at 25 mph and 67 mph. I am looking for ideas on where to look before I take this in to get raped.Thank you in advance.

Hi there:

In many cases, the symptoms you’re describing can be caused by loose motor mounts, steering stabilizer bars, or other front end suspension components. If the shaking occurs during shifting of the transmission, it could be a harmonic balancer issue or drive shaft that has fallen out of calibration. My suggestion is contact a local mechanic who can come to your home and complete a vehicle is vibrating inspection first. This service will allow them to pinpoint the source of the vibration so that the right repairs can be made; without the guess work.

3. What would cause a heavy shake when the van is just about to shift under a load? Speed does not matter.