Q: Car starts, turns off, and won't restart again for five minutes.

Car starts and turns off. It doesn't seem to idle, but will not start again until about three to five minutes later.

An engine needs three things to run: fuel, spark and compression. So, your engine is not getting the right combination of these three essentials. One thing that comes to mind on a vintage vehicle such as yours is vacuum leaks. Vacuum hoses and lines deteriorate over time, resulting in an engine that dies and/or won’t idle. However, there are numerous other issues that could cause a problem such as yours. I suggest you take your vehicle to a trained technician for proper diagnosis and repair. The mechanics at YourMechanic are an excellent resource.

3. Car starts, turns off, and won't restart again for five minutes.