Q: What types of checks should I be conducting?

What types of checks should I be conducting?

A: While you should have your car professional...

While you should have your car professionally maintained at all times, there are quite a few important checks that you should conduct on a regular basis. Doing so will help ensure that you aren’t in for any rude surprises. Here’s a quick rundown of what you should check:

• Battery: Your battery is maintenance free. However, have the battery and other charging system components checked regularly.

• Brake Fluid: Check the fluid level in the reservoir.

• Coolant: Check the fluid level in the reservoir.

• Oil: Check the oil level on the dipstick.

• Exhaust: Check for abnormal sounds and the smell of exhaust in the cabin.

• Washer Fluid: Check the level in the reservoir and top off if necessary.

• Gas Pedal: Check that it moves smoothly.

• Brake Pedal: Check that it moves smoothly and that it doesn’t require more or less pressure than usual.

• Brakes: Listen for abnormal sounds (squealing or grinding), and make sure that the car doesn't pull to the side when braking.

• Lights: Check that all your lights work correctly.

• Seat Belts: Check that the extend and retract smoothly. Look for tears, burrs, and other damage on the webbing.

• Tires: Check for abnormal tread wear. Look for damage to the side walls. Check the tire pressure regularly.